Thursday, April 27, 2006

Garcia Lorca

I think you'll like these poems by Garcia Lorca. He was a musician, an artist, a dramatist, but above all a poet, a poet of Spain, of the world and most particularly of his native Andalucia. He was born in Granada, a land of olive groves, and he died there 38 years later on August 19, 1936, one of the first casualties of the murderous confusion which marked the opening of the Spanish Civil War. I found it in the old LIFE magazine, dated March 20, 1967, which I bought when I was a student in LI.

LANDSCAPE

The olive grove
opens and closes
like a fan.
Beneath a crushing sky
and a dark rain
cold leaf-stars
glimmer.
Reed and shadow tremble
on the river's brim.
The gray air coils itself.
The olive trees
are full of cries.
A covey
of captive birds
who, in the dimnes,
sway their long tails.

(translated by Philip W. Payne)


FAREWELL

If I die,
leave the balcony open.

The little boy is eating oranges
(From my balcony I can see him,)

The reaper is harvesting the wheat.
(From my balcony I can hear him.)

If I die
leave my balcony open!

(Translated by W.S.Merwin)

2 Comments:

Blogger ufukhati said...

Wan,
For sure you are a best collector. I imagine, your room is a kind of pool or pond (with fresh water) or ocean (salty water)where poems breathe and grow. And of course you sit by that pool/pond/ocean and sip the tasty cream of those poems. Certainly, life never having to feel you are lonely.

Your friend : Darma Mohammad.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Halo.
Kami adalah Perusahaan Pemberi Pinjaman, kami menawarkan pinjaman ke seluruh dunia untuk mengeposkan Situs Detail Perusahaan kami untuk mereka yang mendapatkan pinjaman dari Perusahaan Kami.
KAMI MENAWARKAN pinjaman @ 2% suku bunga untuk PURPOSES bisnis dan pribadi.APPLY sekarang dengan:
Nama:
Jumlah yang dibutuhkan:
Lamanya:
Negara:
objektif:
Nomor ponsel:
kirimkan surat kepada kami di: christloanfunds@gmail.com

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home